This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Tips for success

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:55 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM
I have a few tips that I jotted down after running this tool on about 20 option set conversions that I performed.
  1. Leave the "Convert values to Global" checkbox unchecked (I don't know what it's for, but it doesn't work if it is checked. I just get errors about the option set value not able to be greater than 9999, and ALL of mine are larger than 9999.)
  2. Check the first two Steps. The second step (Migrate to Temp. Attribute) will fail if the local attribute has dependencies.
  3. If it fails, manually remove all dependencies.
  4. Then uncheck the first box and rerun just step 2. If it fails again, remove remaining dependencies. It is a good practice to set the local attribute dependencies to the Temp attribute
  5. Once step 2 has run successfully, verify that the data from the local attribute has been copied to the temp attribute.
  6. Check steps 3, 4, 5 and run.
  7. Once step 5 has run successfully, verify that the data from the temp attribute has been copied to the global attribute.
  8. Run the final step 6.
I was able to minimize issues when I followed the above steps. I had several early instances where all local option set data was lost because I didn't verify the transfer before deleting the local data. This was not the tool error, it was my own misunderstanding of the details of each step.
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Thanks for posting this. It helps me immensely to see how this is used (and abused).

Just a few notes on your steps:
1 - Leave the "Convert values to Global" checkbox unchecked (I don't know what it's for, but it doesn't work if it is checked. I just get errors about the option set value not able to be greater than 9999, and ALL of mine are larger than 9999.)
The tool was created shortly after 2011 came out. I had many instances where I had a local optionsets (which is the only version you could have in CRM 4) that really should have been global (States/Countries, Address Types, etc). In CRM 4.0, optionsets couldn't be larger than 9999. So the tool would migrate to the global version, and append on the defined Global Prefix to the optionset value. This feature probably isn't as useful as it once was.
2 - Check the first two Steps. The second step (Migrate to Temp. Attribute) will fail if the local attribute has dependencies.
If it fails, manually remove all dependencies.
Then uncheck the first box and rerun just step 2. If it fails again, remove remaining dependencies. It is a good practice to set the local attribute dependencies to the Temp attribute
Ideally the tool would be able to handle removing all dependencies, but currently it just handles form dependencies. I know about workflow/ plugin dependencies are not currently supported. Is there another type of dependency that has to be manually removed?