This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using this tool with multiple CRM environments (DEV/PROD)

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:18 AM
We have a situation where we are making our CRM customizations in a DEV environment, and then deploying them to our production PROD system after testing via an unmanaged solution. These customizations are only used internally in our organization.
I need to figure out a way to update my DEV solution using this tool, and hten deploy the same set of customizations to my PROD system, without losing any data in PROD.

Since this tool makes all changes in the target environment, it doesn't seem to be able to do what I need.

Any suggestions how I might work out applying these same techniques to get my DEV and PROD environments using global option sets. I have about 20 custom attributes that I need to change from local to global option sets.
Aug 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2015 at 3:39 PM
CRM doesn't support changing an attribute from a local option set to a global one (hence the tool). You'll need to run the tool manually for each environment that you want to propagate the change to. So before the actual solution migration to a new environment, run the tool in that environment (make sure the Migrate Data checkbox is selected). I have used it successfully to propagate changes from dev, to test and then to prod. The most common issue that people run into is if Prod contains lots of data, it will require a lot of time for the data to be migrated (since it has to do it twice. Once from the old to the new temporary, then from the new temporary to the new permanent value).
Marked as answer by larmccoy on 8/20/2015 at 5:43 PM
Aug 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM
Thanks! I will run the tool individually in each environment.